Monday, August 25, 2008

McWorkshop. Round 3. Day 4.

Amber here again... Thursday was a huge day for the McWorkshoppers. The day we take the group to the Biltmore Estate has historically been my favorite part of the week, and this was no exception. We had a wonderful time! 

The day started out with Corey's intensive explorations concerning extreme shooting techniques and micro-composition. I was excited that Corey had had the opportunity to discuss some of his theories on lighting, as well as share information about specific techniques he uses when shooting, before turning the students loose with our beautiful models at the most amazing location. I was so excited to see their progress and their final images! 

I remembered to stop and grab a quick image of Corey imparting knowledge to the class before we headed out for our shoot.



At the February McWorkshop, we headed to the Bilmore Estate and it was insanely cold (see blog post here), but this time it was so wonderful to be there this week with absolutely amazing weather!



This group was so excited to be at the Biltmore Estate. (Actually, this group was pretty excited about most things.) They were awesome to be around...



Corey had one of his spectacularly beautiful brides model for us. Sadly, she isn't getting married until October, so we can't show you any of those images until after her wedding. I've had a sneak peak though, and he captured her beautifully! Maybe we'll get a chance to post those sometime after her wedding. 

We were blessed to have an awesome couple, John and Lindsey Bamber (from Chattanooga!) return to model/attend for the second time in a row. They are amazing photographers, as well as spectacular models. A huge thanks goes out to them for coming and hanging out with us! As Corey was busy shooting his bride this time, most of these shots are mine:











We also want to say thanks to the lovely Liz from The Purple Iris for providing us with gorgeous bouquets for our models. We love you, Liz!







Tara joined us because it was one of her brides who Corey was photographing. She's SO much fun to have around! She borrowed one of Corey's D3s for a few shots...





At the end of the shoot, Corey took us to this cool sunflower patch. I love these images that he captured of John and Lindsey in that location!





After our shoot, we enjoyed a tour and tasting at the winery, and then headed for dinner at Usual Suspects. Apparently, we've decided we like that place.

Corey received a fun new toy in the mail in between the shoot at Biltmore and dinner, so he had a fun time playing with that! [Edit: Corey here. It's been a long time coming, but we finally were able to send off one of my cameras for conversion to infrared! We've had it boxed up and ready to go for about a year and just couldn't seem to get around to sending it off. Well, thanks to Jeremy's, Katie's and Amber's amazing help recently, we finally sent it off... and it's cool! More later.]

I just want to note, that this first image of a self portrait is well after dark, hand-held at 1/5th of a second. Darn fun.



Our new favorite hangout. Darts and delicious food, what more could a gal want?!



Corey using his new infrared camera. (That's Will from ShootQ in the background. ShootQ is another one of our amazing sponsors for this workshop!)



Mariah may kill me for posting this image... but I had NEVER seen such a huge porkchop!



And just a few images from the darts portion of the night. We got pretty competitive, so there was more shooting darts than shooting photos....

But Corey did grab this brilliant image of Mariah, scoring some serious "style points". [Edit: Corey again.  Interesting side note- those were fully-tinted sun glasses. I'd only had the infrared about an hour at that point, but I just thought it was interesting that it removed the tint.]



And another of someone's lucky bullseye... I'll never know who, since it's someone who stole my camera when I wasn't paying attention!



Final days' posts coming up soon!

-amber

Amber's Blog Signature

 


Labels: , , , , , , , ,

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the infrared! Was it expensive to have the camera converted? Have you used it at a wedding yet?

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 10:40:00 PM  
Blogger Corey McNabb said...

Hey Jim! I'm loving the infrared too! It's super cool, but is taking some getting used to. And yes, I actually had a wedding just this past Sunday were I took a couple... not many 'cause I didn't want to lug around a third or forth camera with me, but when I get a chance, I'll try to post a couple.

Thanks for your questions.

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 10:45:00 PM  
Blogger Corey McNabb said...

Oh yeah, sorry... I think it was around 400 bucks for the conversion. I went through LifePixel.com.

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 10:46:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The sunflower shot is my fav for sure - what a great location! And you caught the light perfectly. I'm "wow"ed.

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 10:54:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Corey,
You shot my daughter's wedding at the Biltmore Estate last year and Bill and I have such wonderful memories of escaping the Florida heat for that magical week. I still check back on your web site to see how you're doing and to see all those happy brides!
Thanks,
Maureen

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 8:52:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amber, that was my shot of the darts! I was so proud of my 2nd or 3rd Bullseye of the week so I 'borrowed' the camera to document it : )

Thursday, August 28, 2008 11:15:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amber that is my dart shot! I was so proud of my 2nd or 3rd Bullseye of the week that I 'borrowed' your camera to document it : )

Thursday, August 28, 2008 11:18:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home