Wednesday, August 27, 2008

McWorkshop. Round 3. Bonus Day.

Amber here for one last workshop post. So the RockBand party ended pretty late on Friday night, but that didn't stop our girls from wanting to gather the next day for a little nature photography tour. We met the remaining students for lunch, and then headed up on the Blue Ridge Parkway to see what we could see. Corey's so generous with his time... and he doesn't have any time to spare, so you know he loves his job when he spends an entire extra day shooting with his students!

The first stop was beautiful Looking Glass Falls. It was fun to see everyone in a completely different photo-mode: tripods were out, polarizers were on. We were joined by what felt like half of the population of Asheville, making a clear shot of the falls somewhat difficult. Most people don't know that Corey is a very accomplished nature and wildlife photographer in addition to being the best wedding shooter I know. He's an active member of the CNPA

Corey shot his new infrared.



Serious concentration.







Corey grabbed this fun image of me. It was a little scary to climb out in the water, on those slippery rocks, gear in hand. I'm a clutz, but thankfully no major mishaps occurred.



From the falls, we headed on up the mountain, stopping periodically at overlooks. I've grown up with the mountains, so I had forgotten just how amazing they are. I am very thankful that these girls reminded me to stop and look at these spectacular views.






I think Maureen felt like she was on top of the world. This moment totally made me tear up.



Hard at work (or is it play?)...





Corey's big glass... have you ever tried hand-holding a 200-400 f4 before?! It's not easy!



And a moment of introspection. I just wanted to close my eyes and feel the perfect breeze.



Last stop was the gorgeous French Broad river. I think Corey captured the vista beautifully.



Whew. I think I'm done (except for the winning contest images)! It was a wonderful week, and although I'm glad for a break, I'm simultaneously sad that we don't already have the dates set for the next McWorkshop! I always learn so much, and the relationships that are forged are amazing.



much love.

-amber

Amber's Blog Signature



13 Comments:

Blogger Tyff and Jeff said...

Hey guys, It looks like everyone had a great time. You guys rock!

Thursday, August 28, 2008 1:12:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my God!!! I totally love it! Something about B&W landscape and infrared I just love. I totally want to convert a camera now but I guess I need a spare one to convert first. Those are awesome you guys!!! I had no idea Corey was so accomplished with landscape, that is wonderful to hear.
Miss you guys so much and I can't wait for the leaves to change so we can come back up. Love love love it.

Thursday, August 28, 2008 2:41:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am digging the infrared landscapes! How cool!

Thursday, August 28, 2008 4:02:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great capture of Amber in the light in front of the waterfall. What a gorgeous location! Did you have to hike to it with all your gear?

Friday, August 29, 2008 9:33:00 AM  
Blogger Jill Schwarzkopf said...

I'm involved on a new level.
j.

Friday, August 29, 2008 10:42:00 PM  
Blogger Jill Schwarzkopf said...

I'm involved on a new level.
j.

Friday, August 29, 2008 10:42:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My favorite by far is the infrared shot of the bridge over the river. Awesome.

Friday, August 29, 2008 11:58:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aren't you coming out to LA soon? Can't wait to see you!
Eva

Saturday, August 30, 2008 12:45:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

These images are breathtaking!! Oh how I miss those WNC mountains!

Sunday, August 31, 2008 12:47:00 PM  
Blogger Jill McNabb said...

I miss everybody already! Come back soon.
Jill

Sunday, August 31, 2008 8:55:00 PM  
Blogger Will Godfrey said...

The D70 works wonders on landscapes, much better than in a bar! :) Love the infrared!

Wednesday, September 03, 2008 5:50:00 PM  
Blogger Corey McNabb said...

Hey Steph,

No, no hiking was needed really... the falls and lookouts are all right off the road! Super easy!

Wednesday, September 03, 2008 8:18:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so inspired to get out and do more nature photography!

Sunday, September 07, 2008 3:35:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home