Thursday, May 22, 2008

Jury's still out...


It's 3am and I just got back from the midnight showing of the latest installment of the Indiana Jones series, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. Unlike the most recent feature in the Star Wars saga released in 2005, there was no long line in which to stand outside the theater tonight. In fact, the theater (which was showing Indy on all 10 of its screens) wasn't even close to being sold out. There were plenty of seats to be had throughout. While I very much enjoyed the movie, I don't think it lived up to the spirit of the original trilogy. The first three films all had great action, plucky humor and mythical elements... and we all willingly and joyfully suspended our disbelief in exchange for fun and lighthearted entertainment. In the Crystal Skull however, the dynamic has changed (as one might expect after 19 years- aging actors, as well as filmmakers), but rather than 'feeling' cheery when exiting the theater this early morning, I was 'thinking'.... thinking more "give me a break"s than I'd have hoped. In short, it's worth seeing, but with its lackluster script and almost amateur lighting in some scenes (something one shouldn't even notice when watching a film... ok, ok so I worked in the film business for years, but still, the DP could have done better), I feel like it was a bit uninspiring overall.... almost cheesy, rather than the fun tongue-in-cheek of the others. I feel that Harrison Ford did a good job as his revived famed character, but in the Crystal Skull, I felt a little like he was the George Lazenby of the series, whereas Ford's original portrayal was the Sean Connery (diehard Bond lovers will know what I mean). That's to say that whereas Harrison seemed to play Indiana Jones in this latest movie, he was Indiana Jones in the others. I have to let the film sink in to make my final call. I'm interested to hear your comments after you've seen the movie.

4 Comments:

Blogger chayil :) said...

I'm so glad I'm not the only one!! You said exactly what I thought.... he played Indiana vs. when he WAS Indiana....

going to see it again tomorrow... then I'll make a final decision in my quest to say "Two Thumbs Up!" or not.

Thursday, May 22, 2008 3:48:00 PM  
Blogger Mark Bolick said...

I read that the cinematographer on Indy 4 tried to emulate the late cinematographer on the first three to try and copy the lighting he used. Seems like it was too much a stretch. Hrmmmm....
Joanna and I are hoping to find a babysitter and catch it tomorrow night. I'm sure it will still be fun but I'll chime back in maybe after I see it. Can't wait.

Thursday, May 22, 2008 10:55:00 PM  
Blogger robin gregory said...

All I could think of as I sat reading the credits was Indiana Jones Meets E.T. Even my 12 year old son had to agree and he had even planned a party around it months in advance. It seemed to be a parody of the other films. I found myself laughing at many of the escapades not only because they were silly but also because they seemed like a "tip of the hat" to the previous films' scenes. The long lost son and lover was WAY overly predictable and the father/son dialogue utterly inauthentic. I would much rather go back and watch the earlier films than ever watch this one again.

Monday, June 23, 2008 10:31:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Corey,

I have not visited your blog for awhile and found your post about Indiana Jones. Your comments were very interesting. I too went to the midnight showing and blogged about it. I have a rule not to be negative on the blog but posted this:

http://studio12online.com/blog/?p=176

Hoping to meet you at the july PUG meeting, I will be in Asheville 10 days in July.

Thanks,

Todd Kuhns

Saturday, June 28, 2008 1:47:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home