Tuesday, December 04, 2007

It's here! The newest Nikon flagship... the D3!

MORE IMAGES ADDED, see bottom of post! I'm so stoked! I just received my new Nikon D3 camera and 14-24mm f2.8 lens tonight! I'll be posting more of a detailed review soon, but I'm very impressed so far with many of its features. The white balance, for one, seems to be great just set to Auto... haven't had time to try anything other than that yet. It's heavy too... weighing in at 2.7lbs without battery or cards, it's heavier than it 2.4lb predecessor, the D2X. More to come...






I have a beautiful indoor wedding this weekend and I can't wait to try it out in a real-world scenario, but in the meantime, here are a few preliminary test shots....hardly scientific tests, but you get the idea. I'll be comparing my D2X in some of them.


All of these were hand-held (not easy at some of those slow shutter speeds) jpegs straight out of the camera with auto WB and default settings. The only light source in the room was the one candle in the first series and one desk lamp in the next group. I thought that there would be no better subject for my initial tests than the Nikon FM that my dad gave me when I was 8 years old!




























This image was taken tonight outside of my studio. It was quite dark, to the point of my not being able to make out the outline of the cars passing on the street with my naked eye. This first image is straight out of the camera, and the second one is... also straight out of the camera? Yep. You might be asking yourself, 'say what?', but indeed they're both out of the camera, both the same exposure, and both untouched in any image processing software. The second image is using the camera's D-Lighting function. I'm not sure if it's a practical option for common use, but it's interesting nonetheless.





A full-resolution version of the D-Lighting image can be downloaded by clicking here.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I need mine... yesterday.

Whew. Can't wait to test drive it myself.

Wednesday, December 05, 2007 1:36:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

SWEET!! Congratulations on the new camera body. Nice test photos. You are going to have a blast at that wedding with this baby. Rock on!

Wednesday, December 05, 2007 4:55:00 AM  
Blogger Michael Juiliano said...

*drool*

Wednesday, December 05, 2007 9:08:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome, especially interesting as I sold my D2x recently so I can't do the comparisons myself. Can't wait to see your pictures from your next wedding. Mine arrives Friday ... can't wait for that either!

Wednesday, December 05, 2007 5:02:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

envy is a sin...

i must go pray and ask for forgiveness now...

Wednesday, December 05, 2007 8:43:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just a thought, Corey. You might want to donate your older gear to your father-in-law as you upgrade your equipment. :-)

Thursday, January 03, 2008 10:08:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home