Friday, January 02, 2009

Not A Resolution

Hello everyone, Jeremy here.

I'm not one to make New Year's resolutions but I really have been thinking a lot lately about changing my outlook on communication. I tend to be a fairly private person but in thinking about how that fits in with my life as a wedding photographer I've realized that I am keeping too many wonderful little moments to myself.

After every wedding or session I find myself coming home and running through all of these little fun/weird/touching bits of life in my head. Sometimes my wife will hear a few stories or run through a few images as I download my cards, but I've realized I need to share more.

Many years ago, more than I care to admit, I was photographing a friend of mine dressed up like never before, in his tux...the shiny shoes...the whole deal. He was standing on a dock by a pond, in the woods. He was about to meet his soon-to-be wife and it struck me what a special moment I had been invited to be a part of.

I have been the last person to see several of my friends and clients in those quiet moments before they walk down the aisle. In a dark hall or tucked just around a corner. I have been invited into homes and private little rooms, only shared with a few close family members. I have seen some tears, both happy about the future and sad for those who might not have been with us anymore. Most often, however, I have simply shared a few laughs.

So that's what I've been thinking these first few days into 2009. I won't call it a resolution, as those are too often broken...perhaps a "declaration of intent." Yes, that's way different...

Anyway, here are a couple images that came to mind as I was typing this.

Photobucket

I found Shanna and her dad talking quietly on the steps a few hours before her wedding.


Photobucket

Not all of the "moments" are serious. The reason you can't see the hands of the two on the outside is because they were in handcuffs. Mary, Ross, and I came across them as we were shooting downtown after their wedding and they demanded that they be in a picture before heading to court.


Photobucket

Brian told me later that this picture was on their fridge. I'm not sure if he was just trying to make me feel good but it made the twelve hours of shooting for him and Cristin worth every second. And yes, this was at hour twelve or later and I look it.


Photobucket

Ashley and Kevin invited me to stay at their house near the beach so that we could get an early start for their shoot the next morning. Kevin even cooked me some breakfast! This still seems kind of amazing to me... I mean, how many photographers have you invited to stay at your house?! Anyway, we wandered the beach all morning, shooting and talking. Good times.


Photobucket

Ok, I just don't know when else I would post this of Jeremy (no, another one). He and Leanne were obviously a blast to work with.


Photobucket

8 Comments:

Blogger Tara said...

Jeremy, you should be a writer!!! I think I actually got teary reading this...I even read it to Jonathan, and he simply said 'wow!'. I just love you, your wife, and your work. Wishing you the best with your 'declaration' in 2009!!

Lots of love...
Tara

Saturday, January 03, 2009 8:18:00 AM  
Blogger Danny Wilson said...

Jeremy,

Very inspiring words and thoughts!

Thanks for sharing!

Best wishes i 2009!

Danny

Saturday, January 03, 2009 12:55:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved that post, Jeremy! I'm so inspired.

Jenn

Saturday, January 03, 2009 8:22:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've had the same feelings around this New Year -- thanks for articulating it so well! I need to write my clients and try to say the same thing. Happy 2009, Jeremy and CM!

Saturday, January 03, 2009 8:52:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks everyone! I suppose there would certainly be less equipment overhead as a writer!

Sunday, January 04, 2009 11:05:00 AM  
Blogger Jill Schwarzkopf said...

Thanks for letting us in to your amazing world. I love these images because the speak volumes to the bonds you create with your clients.

Tuesday, January 06, 2009 11:46:00 AM  
Blogger Studio Wed said...

this is great! thanks for sharing and inspiring.

Wednesday, January 07, 2009 10:18:00 PM  
Blogger aaron said...

you girly boy

Saturday, January 10, 2009 11:11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home